Library Administration and Faculty Governance
This page provides information on the administrative structure of the UK Libraries. More information is available in the official Library Rules document, available on the University’s Senate website.
Dean of Libraries:
The dean is the chief administrative officer of the Libraries and is responsible for establishing policies and procedures attendant to the administrative management of the operations of the college.
Contact information: Dean Doug Way, firstname.lastname@example.org, (859) 218-1190.
The Executive Committee (EC) provides strategic leadership and policy oversight. The EC is composed of the following positions:
- Dean of Libraries, chair (Doug Way)
- Interim Associate Dean for Teaching, Learning, & Research (Jennifer Bartlett)
- Associate Dean for Collections and Technical Services (Mary Beth Thomson)
- Associate Dean for Special Collections (Deirdre Scaggs)
- Associate Dean and Director, Medical Center Library (Rick Brewer)
- Director of Finance And Administration (Melissa Barlow)
Other library employees are invited to attend as their expertise is needed. The EC generally meets weekly.
The duties of the Faculty Council include organizing all faculty input on the strategic direction and resource allocation of the libraries, setting the agenda for faculty meetings, appointing the standing committees of the faculty except in cases where election is required, establishing ad hoc faculty work groups as needed, gathering faculty input on dean’s performance between periodic reviews, and gathering faculty input on faculty performance review process. The Faculty Council is an elected body.
Current membership is:
- Ruth Bryan, Chair (3 year term expires 2021)
- Faith Harders, Past Chair (3 year term expires 2020)
- Kate Seago, Chair Elect (3 year term expires 2021)
- Julene Jones, Secretary (2 year term expires 2020)
- Jennifer Hootman, member-at-large (2 year term, expires 2020)
- Amy Laub-Carroll, member-at-large (2 year term, expires 2021)
- Beth Kraemer, member-at-large (2 year term, expires 2021)
- Jan Carver, ex-officio, library representative to University Senate (3 year term on Senate expires 2021)
- Doug Way, ex-officio, non-voting, Dean of Libraries
Faculty meetings are the primary articulation of faculty governance and address significant issues from both faculty and the Dean. Generally, the faculty meet monthly except during the summer.