Borrowing Library Materials
It is the borrower's responsibility to understand and comply with all University of Kentucky Libraries' policies. As a borrower, you are responsible for all materials charged to your account. Your library card may not be loaned to another person. The card holder is responsible for all costs and consequences of card misuse.
Who may borrow library materials?
- Any current student, faculty or staff of the University of Kentucky with a valid UK ID
- Any resident of the state of Kentucky who is at least 18 years of age with a valid KY driver's license or KY non-driver's ID
- Students/faculty of any Reciprocating Kentucky college/university with a valid school ID
- Members of the University of Kentucky Alumni Association
- Emeritus Faculty
- Donovan Scholars
- Visiting Scholars
- English as a Second Language students
- OCLC Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program participants with RFBP card and ID from aparticipating institution.
View the detailed description of loan periods for each Library categorized by the user group. Users not associated with the University are considered part of the "Non-UK" user group highlighted in pink.
How to borrow library materials
Bring items to any Circulation Desk with a valid UK WildCard Student ID or current UK library card. No other form of ID will be accepted.
You may view your library record as well as renew books online by going to My Library Account on InfoKat, the Libraries' online catalog. You need only your last name and library card barcode number (or UK ID number--without the beginning number 9).
Student, Community and Reciprocal Borrowers may renew items twice, faculty/staff may renew four times. If you still have need of an item after the last renewal, bring the book back to the library. You may check it in and then check it back out, as long as the item has not been requested by another patron.
The Medical Center Library allows patrons to renew books 12 times and bound journals two times. There are no renewals on permanent reserves and unbound journals. This is standard for all patron groups except law firms, special borrowers, reciprocal college borrowers and UK alumni association members; contact the Medical Center Library for more details.
How to return library materials
Books may be returned to any campus library, and must be deposited either at the library's Circulation Desk or in a book drop. After hours book drops are available at the following libraries: