Young Library Orientation Tour
Atrium: Orient yourself to the building. It is divided into wings (North, South, East and West) and cores (on most floors, Cores 1-4, but on the 1st floor Core 2 is in the staff area and is not visible to the public). The tapestry of Mr. Young at Overbrook Farm is in the East Wing, near Core 3.
General layout of floors and service centers: The Hub, Student Computing Services Lab, Tech Help @ the Hub, Audio Visual Services, the Writing Center, Presentation U, and the Media Depot (basement); Circulation (1st floor); Reference & Periodicals Desks (2nd floor); periodicals and books (3rd floor); books ( 4th and 5th floors); government documents (5th floor); Thomas D. Clark Study Room (5th floor).
Starbuck’s: Grab a drink or a snack and relax between classes. Entrance in East Wing, Core 3.
Use your WildCard ID to check out library materials.
Ask for Course Reserve items. (Class materials placed on hold by instructors for students enrolled in their classes. Fines for returning these items late are much higher than regular materials.)
Check out group study rooms. (BCTC IDs are also accepted.)
Acquire handouts with details on services and policies at the desk.
Graduate Students and Faculty: Circulation: Grads - 90 days, 75 items; Faculty - 90 days, 100 items; special borrowers - 28 days, 10 items.
Bound Periodicals: Faculty and students may check out.
Interlibrary Loan office is in core 1, 1st floor; pick up materials at Circulation Desk. Copying: departmental CSVT (copy) cards may be used.
Photocopiers: Copiers in Core 3 on the 1st floor accept coins (15 cents per page) and Wildcards (12 cents per page). All other photocopiers and ALL printers require the WildCard or departmental CSVT cards may be used.
Printing: Printing costs 12 cents per page. You can add money to your WildCard online through your Plus Account. There is a $5 transaction fee on each deposit made using Visa or MasterCard. Copying elsewhere in building - use WildCards.
Cell phone charging stations and filtered bottled water stations in Core 4 in the basement and on the first and second floors.
REFERENCE AREA HELP DESK (North Wing) Need help finding books and articles for course research assignments? Ask here!
Log in to the Virtual Den with your Link Blue ID.
- Libraries' website for all your research needs: library materials, research databases, and expert help
- Internet access, library catalog, databases, ejournals, ebooks, and Microsoft Office.
Rotunda - Reading room contains Scott/Greenslade Russian and military history collection
Reference collection, West wing - general and subject encyclopedias and all other reference materials, including the government publications reference collection.
PERIODICALS (East Wing) Ask at desk for:
- All paper and filmed newspapers (except those for Kentucky counties - recent issues - see South wing).
- Microfilm and microfiche, including government publications on fiche.
- Internet access, library catalog, databases, e-journals, ebooks, and Microsoft Office.
- Film and fiche readers/printers & help with these (selected workstations).
- Reading room for recent issues of all of Kentucky's current newspapers. These are shelved in the outer reading room, beyond the microfilm area.
- Study spaces with white boards and enclosed study rooms.
East, west and south wings: Periodicals (bound) are shelved on this floor, by LC call number.
North wing: Unbound periodicals, in Library of Congress (LC) call number order. Most recent issues.
On these top 3 floors are also:
- Student, staff and faculty lockers
- Group study rooms / Meeting rooms
- Quiet Study areas - most 3rd and 5th floor outer reading rooms.
Books are shelved on this floor by LC call number.
Books are shelved on this floor, including government publications and dissertations and theses.
- Try out compact shelving
- Thomas D. Clark Study Room (Quiet Study), West wing
- Rotunda - Reading room contains UK dissertations & theses (older) and North wing (current)
- Quilt display from the collection of Wade Hall.
- The Hub, computing and study area.
- Student Computing Services Computer Lab with PC and Mac computers available for all UK students
- Computers require Link Blue ID to log on. May set up account in Student Computing Services Lab.
- Presentation U (inside Student Computer Lab)
- Audio Visual Services, Media Library and laptop checkout (south wing).
- Media Depot (inside Audio Visual Services)
- Writing Center (B-108B, west wing)