Meeting Room Policy/Request
- University units and groups, including registered student groups and University-sponsored groups, may apply to use the meeting rooms in the William T. Young Library. Organizations and individuals will be limited to 12 reservations per calendar year. Please note that these rooms are not available for student study sessions or for regularly scheduled classes.
- Programs to be presented must be of an educational, cultural, or charitable nature or relate to other purposes approved by the Dean of Libraries in accordance with the regulations of the University.
- Charges for admission, space, services, or sales of items are restricted. Registered UK student organizations may do so with prior written authorization from the Director of the Student Center AND approval of Library Administration. Any group that does not obtain authorization before the event will be required to stop charging and/or selling items, or will be required to leave the building.
- In all cases, the use of meeting rooms in the William T. Young Library shall be in compliance with the University of Kentucky Governing and Administrative Regulations and the UK Libraries' Patron Code of Conduct.
Guidelines for Meeting Room Use
- Meeting rooms may only be reserved during the hours that William T. Young Library is open. Reservations are not available past 10:00 p.m. regardless of current operating hours.
- Event reservations will be scheduled no earlier than one-half hour after the building opens; the event reservation will end one-half hour before the building closes.
- The Library will accept reservation requests up to one year in advance.
- Tentative or pending reservations will be held for two weeks only and confirmed no later than two weeks prior to events.
- Please note that the Young Library Setup Crew is available Monday - Friday to configure furniture in Alumni Gallery between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. If your scheduled event falls outside of these hours, help with furniture in Alumni Gallery will not be available. The Library allots one hour between all Alumni Gallery reservations during Setup Crew working hours.
- Please note that audiovisual support may be limited during certain hours. See Audio Visual Services section (below) for more information.
- The Library will make room assignments based on attendance size and needs.
Refreshments and Catering
- Groups need to make their own arrangements for refreshments. Catering service may be requested through UK Catering at 257-1741 or from any UK-approved caterer.
- Candles or other open flames are also prohibited, except for Sterno heat.
- If Sterno heat is used, the event organizers are responsible for extinguishing flame(s) when exiting the room.
- Catering service is responsible for removal of refreshments following events.
- Drinks in open containers and food stuffs are restricted to the Alumni Gallery, Keeneland Room and Room B-108C. Only drinks in covered containers are permitted in other Library meeting rooms. (Please see the Food, Drink & Tobacco Policy for more information.)
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
Audio Visual Services
AV Services delivers equipment requested by patrons who reserve meeting rooms in William T. Young Library.
- Equipment requests should be made after your room reservation is confirmed.
- Please use the Equipment Request Form to designate the equipment you will need.
- Should you be planning to show AV media you are bringing, such as a video cassette or DVD, you will need to complete the Media Exhibition Questionnaire no less than 24 hours prior to the beginning of your event.
- Public exhibition of AV media will only be supported using AV Services playback equipment, projectors, monitors, etc.
- No AV equipment other than a laptop or similar computing device may be brought into the meeting/conference rooms.
- For information about reserving the AV Computer Classroom, see the Audio Visual Services page.
There is a Visitor Lot located next to the library on Hilltop Avenue. It is a pay lot; rates are specified on the Visitor Lot page.
- Parking and Transportation Services strives to help UK faculty, staff and student groups with parking and transit arrangements for meetings, conferences, seminars and other special events. Please contact the PTS Special Even Coordinator at (859) 257-9680.
- Parking and Transportation Services also offers a convenient method of pre-selling parking passes called the Voucher System. If you are hosting a special even at the William T. Young Library and feel that this would best suit the needs of your attendees, please contact the PTS Special Event Coordinator at (859) 257-9680.
- Failure to cancel a meeting denies others the use of the facilities and wastes scarce University resources. Please make every effort to notify the Library if your event is canceled.
- Please notify AV Services of your cancellation if you reserved equipment for the meeting.
- In the event that severe weather causes a delayed opening or the cancellation of classes and closure of offices, room reservations during that period will be canceled due to minimal staffing levels during these times.
- The best interests of the University may make it necessary to occasionally give priority to or cancel one event in favor of another. When such a cancellation becomes necessary, the unit or group holding the reservation shall be notified as far in advance as possible.
Violation of Building and Meeting Room Policies
- Any group using meeting rooms within the William T. Young Library is expected to take proper care of the facility. Each group is financially responsible for any damage resulting from abuse or neglect.
- Violations of these policies may result in denial of future meeting room requests.
These policies will be reviewed periodically to ensure that the needs of library users are being met.
To apply for a meeting room, read the policies above and click on the following statement:
I have read and agree to abide by these policies.