This print, from the Kentucky State University photo album, shows the circular drive that led up to the building. Vines creep up the building's front. Three buildings show in the background. The Mining Laboratory is barely visible on the right side. The Mining Building stands next to it. To the left of the building, hidden behind the trees, is the Carnegie Library. It is almost impossible to look at this building and not notice the "'15" painted at the top.
This building, dedicated 21 January 1898, was funded with the money saved from the University's income and Andrew Carnegie's gift to the University. In 1901, the top floor housed a horticulture museum. During the 1930s, it housed the departments of geology, zoology, the Romance languages, and later anthropology (Lafferty, 193?).
The 24 August 1994 Kentucky Kernel reports that three times after the building was completed, it was slated by the Board of Trustees for destruction: most recently in 1989, before that in 1967, and during the 30s and 40s. Most recently, the building, though slated to be torn down, instead had major renovations undertaken. This reconstruction cost $2.7 million. The building, shut down during construction, reopened on 24 August 1994.