The vines around the building when this photograph
was taken are thick. Another noticeable feature of
the building is the number of chimneys: seven are
visible. Telephone poles bring wires into the Administration Building.
Indistinguishable in the scanned image are two men
walking across the campus. One stands next to the
circular structure jutting from the left side of
the building. The other is walking in front of
another campus building in the background.
This building, the first to be built after the
original three buildings, is now called Gillis
Hall after Ezra Gillis. Gillis was the first
registrar at the University. He served the
University from 1910 to 1937 and is responsible
for establishing and directing the university
The building was erected in 1889 at a cost of
$20,000 to be the first experiment station. The
funds for this building were money saved out of
the University's income plus legislative
appropriations. In 1891, it was destroyed by fire
and rebuilt immediately on the same plans. A
Station was built between Washington and
Virginia Avenues off Limestone Street. The second
experiment station building was later named
Besides its use as an experiment station, the
building was used by the chemistry department
beginning in 1903. In 1927, the building was
remodeled and equipped for the College of Law.
It was also home to the department of hygiene, the
department of public health, and an infirmary in
1939 (Cone, 1989). Now, it houses the registrar's
and admissions office.
SCRC collects,preserves, and provides access to materials documenting the social, cultural, economic, and political history of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Materials are acquired regardless of format and include both primary and secondary sources; Kentuckiana is collected comprehensively. SCRC maintains the University Archives and records management program for all records generated by the University and serves as its archival repository for permanent records. SCRC advances and supports the research, teaching, and scholarship of the University and beyond by preserving and providing access to its holdings.