This photograph is considerably earlier than the time of the map (1890s to early 1900s). Starting from the right, a fence runs along behind the house. Logs have been chopped and are ready for the cold winter. Vines have begun to crawl up the right side of the building. The front porch has two rocking chairs. President Patterson enjoyed sitting in his rocking chairs as the photograph with Patterson's biographical information shows. Directly to the right of the rocking chairs, the screen door is leaning against the wall. In the foreground is a post for visitors riding in on horses to secure their mounts. In the background, just to the left of the building and through two trees, is a shed.
The Residence, built in 1882 along with the Administration Building and the Old Dormitory, was the home of James Kennedy Patterson, the first president of the University. Patterson stayed in the house until he died in 1922 despite a June 1917 university report's recommendation to remove Patterson from the house. Patterson's occupation of the house was a distraction for Henry Stites Barker, president of the University from 1910 to 1917. While Patterson stayed in the house, Barker and his wife stayed in a room in Patterson Hall. His brother, Walter K. Patterson, president of The Academy from beginning to end (1880-1911), stayed there until he died in 1932. The Academy was for students preparing to attend the University (Cone, 1989).