This photograph shows, besides the four leafy trees, three doors on the first floor. One feature of the building that changed over time was the front doors. A doorway used to be located four windows to the left of the middle door. By looking very closely, one sees the mortar between the bricks around the window is more noticeable from the construction. Later, the doorways were replaced with two sliding doorways on either side of the main part of the building. The spacing of the windows gives an idea of the width of the individual rooms. The keen observer will notice the doorway in the center of the picture has been marked with "12." It is believed graduating classes would mark their year on the buildings in creative spots. These markings, although unattractive, help date the time of the picture from 1912 to 1916.
The Old Dormitory, known as White Hall, was one of the first three buildings erected on campus in 1882. It was remodeled for classes in 1918. It was demolished in the mid-1960s along with the Carnegie Library and President Patterson's Residence.
On the hillside below the Old Dormitory, a botanical garden was kept by the Lexington Garden Club and the departments of botany and horticulture. Another garden, filled with azaleas, was kept near the dormitory (Lafferty, 193?).
The building was named White Hall after Vice President James G. White, professor of mathematics at the time of his death in 1913 (Cone, 1989). This is not the same building as the current White Hall Classroom Building. The original White Hall was demolished for the construction of the Classroom Building and Patterson Office Tower.
The mission of the Special Collections Research Center is to locate and preserve materials documenting the social, cultural, economic, and political history of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Materials are acquired regardless of format and include both primary and secondary sources; Kentuckiana is collected comprehensively. Special Collections maintains the records management program for all records generated by the University and serves as its archival repository for permanent records. As part of the mission, the Special Collections Research Center advances and supports the research, teaching, and scholarship of the University and beyond by preserving and providing access to its holdings.