Public Policy Archives
University of Kentucky Libraries
Accession Number: 59M61
Papers: 1911-1967. Ca. 2,500 items, 270 volumes.
Jouett Shouse was born in Midway, Kentucky, on December 10, 1879, the son of the Rev. John Samuel Shouse, a Christian minister, and Anna Armstrong Shouse. He received his eduction in the public schools of Missouri and the University of Missouri. Returning to Kentucky, Shouse served on the staff of the Lexington Herald from 1898 to 1904. He also served as secretary of the Lexington Chamber of Commerce and the Blue Grass Fair Association and edited the Kentucky Farmer and Breeder.
Shouse went to Kansas in 1911, where he married. He was elected to the United States Congress from the 7th Kansas district in 1915 and served in the 64th and 65th Congresses. He was named Assistant Secretary of the Treasury by Woodrow Wilson, serving from 1919 to 1920. Shouse was Chairman of the Democratic National Executive Committee from 1929-1932, President of the Association Against the Prohibition Amendment from 1932 to 1933, and President of the American Liberty League from 1934 to 1938. Shouse died in 1968.
The Jouett Shouse Collection consists of scrapbooks, correspondence, and a file of publications of the American Liberty League. The American Liberty League files contain extensive information on the League. Several digitized pamphlets and a full index of American Liberty League publications is available.
The collection includes the following scrapbooks:
Personal - 13 volumes, 1912-1928
Democratic National Committee - 131 volumes, 1929-1932
SCRC collects,preserves, and provides access to materials documenting the social, cultural, economic, and political history of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Materials are acquired regardless of format and include both primary and secondary sources; Kentuckiana is collected comprehensively. SCRC maintains the University Archives and records management program for all records generated by the University and serves as its archival repository for permanent records. SCRC advances and supports the research, teaching, and scholarship of the University and beyond by preserving and providing access to its holdings.