2. Place the materials in file folders. Hanging files will not be accepted.
3. Place the folders in cubic foot storage boxes. If your office utilizes a Kentucky Underground Storage, Inc. customer number, order the 1.0 cubic foot Anderson box. Otherwise, use the Office Max box - item #P50M97213 when sending to off-site storage. Retain the filing sequence used by your office. Box permanent and non-permanent records separately. For more information on non-permanent records, seeNon-Permanent Records.
4. Label the boxes. Label the boxes with the office name, record series name, and box number (number the boxes sequentially).
5. Complete this folder title inventory. After you have boxed your records, utilize the spreadsheet provided to list the records in the order as arranged. Include the date range for the material in each folder. Save the folder title Excel spreadsheet inventory with KUSI box numbers. If your office needs to retrieve material from these files, this inventory will be the primary way of finding the requested records.
6. Notify University Archives & Records Program. Notify University Archives & Records Program of these records via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and attach to the email the Word document or Excel spreadsheet folder title inventory. UARP will suggest delivery times and provide instructions for having the boxes delivered. UARP may elect to have the materials delivered directly to off-site storage, Kentucky Underground Storage Inc. (KUSI). In that case, you will be asked to provide detailed directions for the courier. You will be informed of the pickup date and given a unique ID number to write on each box. Storage and retrieval costs will be funded by the UK Libraries account ONLY IF materials qualify as both Permanent (based on Records Retention Schedule) and historical (based on University Archivist's judgment). Otherwise, costs must be funded by the office transferring the records.
For further assistance, please contact University Archives & Records Program by phone (859-257-5257) or email (email@example.com).
(March 31, 2016) The UK Libraries Special Collections Research Center has initiated a new online requests system allowing all our faculty, students, patrons, and visiting researchers to submit requests for materials, schedule a visit, or place digital reproduction and oral history orders through a custom web-based interface.
Create an account to get started. All researchers visiting after March 31st will need to complete registration in their new account.
UK community members can login using their LinkBlue IDs while visitors can create their own login username and password. For more information, visit our FAQ.
The mission of the Special Collections Research Center is to locate and preserve materials documenting the social, cultural, economic, and political history of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Materials are acquired regardless of format and include both primary and secondary sources; Kentuckiana is collected comprehensively. Special Collections maintains the records management program for all records generated by the University and serves as its archival repository for permanent records. As part of the mission, the Special Collections Research Center advances and supports the research, teaching, and scholarship of the University and beyond by preserving and providing access to its holdings.