Transferring Non-Permanent Records
1. Visit the State University Model Records Retention Schedule to identify the record series number and retention status of your records. If the retention status of your records is "P" (Permanent), go to Permanent Records. Otherwise, proceed to Step 2 on this page.
2. Do records need to be destroyed? If the Model Schedule indicates the records are Non-Permanent, check the retention status. If retention period has been fulfilled records may be due for destruction.
3. Kentucky Underground Storage, Inc. (KUSI) If your unit needs storage for non-permanent records prior to their destruction, it may utilize Kentucky Underground Storage, Inc. The Records Program will provide assistance and will coordinate the move of your records. KUSI, however, will bill you directly. Costs are based on the volume of records to be stored and the type of storage requested.
4. Place the materials in file folders. Hanging files will not be accepted.
5. Place the records in cubic foot storage boxes. Please use Office Max box - item #P50M97213 when sending to offsite storage.
6. Complete this folder title inventory. After you have boxed your records, utilize the spreadsheet provided to list the records in the order as arranged. Include the date range for the material in each folder. Save the folder title Excel spreadsheet inventory with KUSI box numbers. If your office needs to retrieve material from these files, this inventory will be the primary way of finding the requested records.
7. Notify University Archives & Records Program. Notify University Archives & Records Program of these records via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and attach to the email the Word document or Excel spreadsheet folder title inventory. At the top of the inventory, include the contact name, phone number, and email address; the location of the boxes for the courier pickup, and the offsite storage customer number. University Archives & Records Program will assign a unique ID number ("UA number"). The UA numbers will be sent to you via an email. Please email the folder title inventory including the UA numbers to the UARP listserv. Then write the UA number on the front of each respective box with a black marker. Notify University Archives & Records Program (email@example.com) when materials are ready for shipment and the pickup will be arranged.
For further assistance, please contact University Archives & Records Program by phone (859/257-5257) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).