2. Do records need to be destroyed? If theModel Scheduleindicates the records are Non-Permanent, check the retention status. If retention period has been fulfilled records may be due for destruction.
3. Kentucky Underground Storage, Inc. (KUSI) If your unit needs storage for non-permanent records prior to their destruction, it may utilize Kentucky Underground Storage, Inc. The Records Program will provide assistance and will coordinate the move of your records. KUSI, however, will bill you directly. Costs are based on the volume of records to be stored and the type of storage requested.
4. Place the materials in file folders. Hanging files will not be accepted.
5. Place the records in cubic foot storage boxes. If your office utilizes a Kentucky Underground Storage, Inc. customer number, order the 1.0 cubic foot Anderson box. Otherwise, use Office Max box - item #P50M97213 when sending to offsite storage.
6. Complete this folder title inventory. After you have boxed your records, utilize the spreadsheet provided to list the records in the order as arranged. Include the date range for the material in each folder. Save the folder title Excel spreadsheet inventory with KUSI box numbers. If your office needs to retrieve material from these files, this inventory will be the primary way of finding the requested records.
7. Notify University Archives & Records Program. Notify University Archives & Records Program of these records via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and attach to the email the Word document or Excel spreadsheet folder title inventory. At the top of the inventory, include the contact name, phone number, and email address; the location of the boxes for the courier pickup, and the offsite storage customer number. University Archives & Records Program will assign a unique ID number ("UA number"). The UA numbers will be sent to you via an email. Please email the folder title inventory including the UA numbers to the UARP listserv. Then write the UA number on the front of each respective box with a black marker. Notify University Archives & Records Program (email@example.com) when materials are ready for shipment and the pickup will be arranged.
For further assistance, please contact University Archives & Records Program by phone (859/257-5257) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
(March 31, 2016) The UK Libraries Special Collections Research Center has initiated a new online requests system allowing all our faculty, students, patrons, and visiting researchers to submit requests for materials, schedule a visit, or place digital reproduction and oral history orders through a custom web-based interface.
Create an account to get started. All researchers visiting after March 31st will need to complete registration in their new account.
UK community members can login using their LinkBlue IDs while visitors can create their own login username and password. For more information, visit our FAQ.
The mission of the Special Collections Research Center is to locate and preserve materials documenting the social, cultural, economic, and political history of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Materials are acquired regardless of format and include both primary and secondary sources; Kentuckiana is collected comprehensively. Special Collections maintains the records management program for all records generated by the University and serves as its archival repository for permanent records. As part of the mission, the Special Collections Research Center advances and supports the research, teaching, and scholarship of the University and beyond by preserving and providing access to its holdings.