Special Collections Research Center

 HOURS for December 15, 2019:  Closed

Records Management

History

The University of Kentucky was chartered in February of 1865 by the Kentucky Legislature, as the "Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky," a department established, pursuant to the terms of the Morrill Land-Grant Act of 1862, for the purpose of college-level training in Agriculture and Engineering, within Kentucky University, a private, sectarian institution organized at the same time. Ensuing denominational and theological controversies, as well as financial difficulties, prompted the Legislature to formally separate the College from the University in 1878, and the former, in 1880, began a century-and-a-quarter of development as an independent institution of higher education on the site of a municipal park and fairgrounds donated by the city of Lexington. In 1908 the A&M College attained University status, and in 1916 it assumed its present name.

University History prepared by University Archivists and UK faculty, staff, and students (click on each title) 

SCRC Front Desk and Main Entrance
Breckinridge Research Room
All Other Questions & Comments: WebAdmin@lsv.uky.edu